Kalgoorlie to Alice Springs

Upon leaving Kalgoorlie, we started our trek to Ayres Rock (Uluru) via the Great Central Road. Our First stop for the night was Laverton where the dirt track stated. We stopped into the police station to pick up our permits for the Aboriginal Land, the police also like to look at your 4WD so that they are satisfied that you will make it, they looked at ours from the station and said that will have no problems and we can see you have all the fuel and water you require enjoy the trip. So off we went to our Camp sight where we had the manager let us fill up our drinking water from her rain water tanks, much better than the tap water (Australian's are very helpful, but you all know that). It was an early start the next day as we had a long way to go and we did not know what the road was like.There a few rules for crossing the Aboriginal Land, as you can see from this sign there is no Petrol in the Aboriginal land as well as alcohol. (this is to stop abuse of it , Aboriginals have a habit of sniffing petrol)

Would not want a V8 along this road as in English that is 520 miles

mmm as you can see Australia is a big place. 


At the start of the dirt track to Alice Springs 1587k's = 992miles


 Along the way I was hoping to see some wild life and I was so disappointed that all we saw were heaps of these guys.

Desert Dragon

I think they are so cute, he looks big here but really they fit in you hand and the spikes look pointy and sharp but they are soft and you can pick they up easily, but one would not suggest that you not pick they up unless you want to get them off the road. I also got to see a very small plant in the desert that Ali just did not understand the whole stopping for a flower thing, but it is a beautiful flower.

Desert Pea

You would think it was a big flower but again no it is as big as my hand again, now I am wondering why a great desert should have such small wild life, things that are so hard to see. About Lunch time we arrived at the first road house and we were sill trying to decide whether to keep going or stopping as we had already done 312K's and the next road house was 255K's away, but as it was lunch time we pressed on. All the time I have been looking for Kangaroos, Camels and Dingo's, but alas nothing yet, so I hoped the next part of the trip we would see some, again I was disappointed. We stayed the night at Warburton Roadhouse, as it was a little larger town as two 4WD track merge there, the Great Central and the Gunbarrell Highway (which was closed due to flooding).

The next morning it was a very early start as we had planed to get to Uluru (Ayres Rock) by that night. This time we were sure to see Kangaroos, Camels and maybe a Dingo. As we started down the track again we passed a man on a road bike, it looked like a Ducati  with normal road tires and we both looked at each other and thought, that is a true nut case, as the roads looked a lot like this.

Corrugations on the Track

As we moved on, we came across a truck, so due to the roads we slowed down to not get any stones thrown the window, in doing so the truck came to a stop as well and Ali and the drive had a great chat in the middle of the road for about 20 mins with no other vehicle in sight, But he told us that there were camels in about 50 K's down the road so I was a little excited about that. After we left him to go on our way we finally saw some Wild Camels, they looked so big.


Wild Camels

These Camels in Australia are the last pure bread camels in the world and we sell them back to the Arabs, which is funny as they are the ones that released them here.

90 on Track

This is what all the tracks looked like and the dust that was displaced during the trip, had me cleaning all the kitchen implements out before we could use them for dinner at night. As we came to the last 90 K's or so the scenery changed dramatically and the views were amazing. As we passed over the boarded we had to take this picture, sorry it is just the 90 again.

NT Boarder

Not long after the boarder we came across this view of the Olgas from the track we were driving down.

Mt Olgas (Kata Tjuta)

As we got closer the view got so much better.

Mt Olgas (Kata Tjuta)

The picture above was taken 5k's from the end of the track. We had already done about 1200k's on dirt road. As we stopped for this picture the rear brake pipe broke. This was manly due the corrugations on the track. These were bad on this track and the car did well to hold together all that way. With corrugations it is better to hit them at a faster speed than a slower one. The best speed to drive them is at about 85-100Kph as the car tends to hop across the top of them. Anyway with the make up of the car we still had front brakes so we went to Ayers Rock Resort  (where we were heading for anyway) for the night ,and the left the car to sort in the morning, where Ali managed to fix (bodge) the car  so that we had brakes back. So the first night I was there I could only get the sunset from the Resort lookout, but I think it looks great.

Olgas Sunset

So the next day we were off to see Uluru, after paying the fee to get in, which was funny as the first day we came though back roads and did not have to pay. We were not disappointed though as the rock came in to view.


We drove around the rock first and through it would be nice to look at the waterholes.

Waterhole in morning light

Ali took this picture, I like the colours and the next photo was taken just to one side of this waterhole, again by Ali.

Morning at Uluru

Ali and I decides not to climb Uluru as the aboriginals ask you not to out of respect for the ancestors the Anugna, (the fact that it was 36 in the shade and would take 3-4 hours to climb did not help the matter either) so the aboriginal reason is the one we are going to use and not that we are lazy or anything. So we walked around part of the Uluru and then we decided to go back to camp for a swim and then come watch the sunset. We got there early so that we would get the best view and the colours where amazing, I think this is the one of the best shots I have taken on this holiday.

Uluru Sunset

Well that was until the next morning when I took this picture of the 90 in front of Uluru at sunup.

90 Sunrise

This is the colour Uluru goes at sunup, just after the sun breaks the horizon.


We have alot of photos like this, I went a little crazy but you get the Idea. Ali thought this was funny, he took it with a the video camera, so it is a little grainy, thanks for a small miracle. This is how I get the better shots and a little higher then the rest of the crowd. (as I am a very short girl).

Sue on 90

After the sunrise we left for the Olgas, to do the windy valley walk (all this walking will end up killing us I am sure.) This is one of the pictures of the valley.

Olgas Valley

 and we stayed around for the sunset.

Olgas Sunset

After we left Uluru and Olgas the next day we were off to Kings Canyon for a few days, we arrived and the next day got up early to do the Kings Canyon rim walk. Little did we both realise that the first bit of the trip was a vertical mountain with steps cut out of the rock all the way up, they have named it Cardiac Hill and they say 1 in 10 people have to be rescued from the top. Ali and I made it but my body was protesting a little, but it got over it.

Kings Canyon Half way up

At the Top

Nearly finished the walk

After Kings Canyon we were off to Alice Springs with a little side trip to Rainbow Valley.

Rainbow Valley

Arriving at Alice Springs

Over the next few days we went to Stanley Chasm, which was stunning, photo's just don't do half these places justice.

Stanley Chasm

On the way to the Chamber Pillar we saw some Black Cockatoos (which are a little rare) and then started on one of the worst 4WD track we have been on so far, but in the end it was worth it to see the Pillars.

Chamber Pillar

After this we are off up the Tanimin Road from Alice Spring to Halls Creek and then on to Broome to pick up where we left our trip before Cyclone Glenda.